Skip to main content

Have An Emergency Fund

I came across this concept a few times while reading. The truth is that you never know when a problem can happen. When a problem happens, you want to completely focus on resolving the problem. You don’t want to split focus between financial matters and the problem at hand.

Why Didn’t They Teach Me This in Schools: 99 Personal Money Management Principles to Live By was written by Cary Siegel. It’s a great book. Having an emergency fund was one of the principles.

 Schools focus on socialization and not financial survival. One purpose of school is to get you ready for adulthood. Your true goal is not this. Your goal is to survive financially regardless of what comes up.


My story 


 I work for a large company. Working for large companies has benefits. One benefit is steady employment. I’ve been at my company for eleven years. Over the years, I’ve been able to set up a contingency plan. The economy may take a turn down or someone in the family gets sick, you never know what will come up.

For us, someone in my family got sick. My son needed a transplant. We were fortunate we caught his failing organ early, and we were extremely lucky. My son required 24 hour care. My wife and I both stopped working for three months. For this crazy and stressful time, we had no concern about money. How did we do this? We have an emergency fund. Image here

Easy to start 


The hardest part of creating an emergency fund is starting. Good news, the first step is hard, but steps after become easier. I’m going to make this easy. Let’s make it simple by created a very simple goal.

What should your goal be


You should start small. Starting with a goal of $100 is a start. No, you will likely not be able to live off $100. Why start with $100? It’s a small achievable goal. You have to start small. This will increase your chances of following through and building an emergency fund.

 Be incremental in your goal 


You should have a small goal that you can think of as a small step. For example, let’s say you save $2 a day. This is a small incremental step if you make $100 to $200 a day. Let’s say you love coffee from your favorite shop. You can stop drinking coffee or reduce your consumption from your favorite shop. Instead of buying the triple espresso you like, just get a regular cup of joe. This can be your incremental step towards your goal.

When you finish a goal, set a new goal 


After you reach your goal, set another one. If you don’t do this you can run the risk of being stagnant in growing your emergency fund. If you’re at the finish line of a marathon, what’s your motivation to keep running?

Need help? 

I know, this can be extremely hard to start. The truth is that we all need help sometimes. The good news is that you don’t have to get another job to create an emergency fund. You just have to start your fund. You may not see any opportunities to save. Let me help you get there. Just ask for help in the comment section.

Note: This is a repost from Steem.it.  Not all my readers are on Steem.it yet.

Comments

  1. I found your post interesting to read and i want to say that this is a best post i have ever seen until now. Take a look at Marie Knox Profile will give you link to the Free gift card generator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This particular papers fabulous, and My spouse and i enjoy each of the perform that you have placed into this. I’m sure that you will be making a really usefull I put things off too much

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Financial Literacy Simplified

One Book You Should Read If You Haven't Already Rich Dad Poor Dad is a book I wished I read in school.  Don't get me wrong.  Reading Shakespeare, Steinbeck, and Ellison were interesting.  The titles the authors produced are insightful and life changing for most.  I understand the need for fiction.  I always longed for non-fiction.  I love how you can learn so much from a person's stories and experiences in such a short amount of time.  Rich Dad Poor Dad is non-fiction, but to me it didn't feel like I was reading a book.  I felt a sage was reciting wisdom to me that I needed to hear.  Financial Literacy What is financial literacy really?  Well, let's start with literacy.  Some believe literacy is the ability to read and write.  I really like Alberta Canada's definition .  They believe: Literacy has traditionally been thought of as reading and writing. Although these are essential components of literacy, today our understanding of literacy encompas

Robert Kiyosaki is an Outlier

Robert Kiyosaki is an Outlier I like books. Truth be told, I like listening to books. Why do I prefer to listen to books versus reading them? When I’m reading a book, I can only read a book. If I listen to a book, I can do this while driving, exercising, mowing the lawn, etc. After reading a few books, I can see a common thread. Finding threads is why I read. I feel like I’m synthesizing the information at a deeper level after the connection is formed in my brain. What’s an Outlier? An outlier is an observation that lies an abnormal distance from other values in a random sample from a population. Source:  https://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/prc/section1/prc16.htm People like Steve Jobs, Joan of Arc, Bill Gates, Harriet Tubman, Lebron James, and Serena Williams are  Outliers . Their genius can be seen through their work and the impact they made on the world. Many people think they are born this way. If you look a bit closer you will see there was a bit of luck and h